order non hybrid seeds LandRightsNFarming: Fwd: Active duty

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fwd: Active duty



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Mondo via Change.org <mail@change.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Subject: Active duty
To: landrightsnfarming.seamom89@gmail.com


 
Change.org
Tell Sallie Mae: Defer student loan repayment for active duty members of the U.S. military
Sign Elizabeth's Petition

melissa -

For the last three years, I've worked as a nurse at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Every day, I care for veterans who come back wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan. I've loved every minute -- so much that I signed up for another four years of service. 

But I was shocked when my student loan provider, Sallie Mae, told me it won't allow servicemen and women to defer on their private student loans for as long as they're on active duty -- something available in federal student loans.

I don't earn much in my job -- I do it because I love it, and I'm proud to make even this small sacrifice for my country. The government recognizes this by deferring loans for members of the military, I don't understand why Sallie Mae can't do the same, and not add to the burden of people in the military by demanding huge loan repayments.

That's why I've started a petition asking Sallie Mae to grant me a deferment on my loan while I'm on active duty, and do the same for all other members of the military.

Click here to add your name to my petition. 

Sallie Mae says it will only defer loans for a maximum of three years for people in the military -- even those on active duty overseas. 

I wish I could say that I was the only member of the military who has had to deal with this. But I've spoken to dozens of my colleagues who are facing the same thing. It means that while I'm caring for wounded veterans, and while hundreds of others are putting their lives in danger overseas, Sallie Mae will force me to start repaying huge amounts of money. 

I know that Sallie Mae cares about its image -- last year, an unemployed college grad named Stef Grey used a petition to make Sallie Mae modify its policy of charging extra fees on people who were unemployed. If thousands of people join me, I know it won't be able to stand by this unfair policy either.

Click here to sign my petition, and tell Sallie Mae to help ease the stress of payments while we serve our country and allow deferments that span the time of our service in the military.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Mondo

This email was sent by Change.org to landrightsnfarming.seamom89@gmail.com   |   Start a petition
Unsubscribe. Edit your email notification settings.